My sister was in town last wee. I think she wanted to wander her old haunts one last time because after we move there will be nothing to draw her back here except for memories. While she was here I invited my cousin and his wife for dinner.
Other than being just a good opportunity to reconnect, it was also an opportunity to move forward on the ‘clean out the fridge/pantry/freezer’ efforts before we move. I was doing a menu that featured Thai flavours. I made a Thai cucumber salad to go with the Thai red curry turkey kebabs with peanut sauce. Mid way through the plans i wondered if there wasn’t a way to add carrots to the menu. We get a bag in every CSA shipment and have about 6 bags to use up (I think a carrot cake will be in order . . .). I googled a bit and came up with this recipe.
The original recipe calls for matchsticks but I wasn’t about to put that sort of effort into the deal so i went with thinly sliced rounds. At first I tried the mandolin but because the carrots were a bit soft they weren’t slicing well. A sharp knife did the trick.
The dressing came together quickly and tasted delicious. All in all I was impressed with how good this tasted. I sort of regret giving all of the leftovers to my cousins . . .
Thai Carrot Salad
- 2 Tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 Tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 Tablespoons lime juice
- 1 Tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 Teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 Teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 Teaspoon garlic powder
- Dash sriracha sauce
- 2 Tablespoons rive wine vinegar
- 10 ounces carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- cilantro and chopped peanuts to garnish
- In a medium-sized, microwave-safe bowl, soften the peanut butter in the microwave. Add the oil, whisking until you have a smooth mixture. Add the remaining dressing ingredients and whisk together until well-blended.
- Mix in the carrots and stir until evenly coated.
- Garnish with chopped cilantro, peanuts, black sesame seeds or other garnish of your choice.